Saturday, March 8, 2014

Homemade Liquid Hand Soap and Laundry Detergent

Although I haven't made as much progress as I'd like in simplifying and eliminating the waste in my life, I am on a mission to do so one small step at a time. One thing I'm trying to do is to use more natural household products. Over the last six months, my family has gotten used to my homemade liquid soap and homemade laundry detergent and I've been happy with how they have been working out.

There are certainly more and more natural household cleaning products available on the market now, but if the higher cost in comparison to the cheaper alternatives is enough to dissuade you from making the switch, try making your own natural cleaning products. The process really is quite easy and doesn't take a lot of time.

Powdered Laundry Detergent
Recipe from DIY Natural

1 bar (4.5 ounces) of bar/laundry soap (Fels-Naptha, Dr. Bronner's)
1 cup of washing soda*
1 cup of borax

Grate the bar soap on the fine side of a box grater. Mix with the washing soda and borax. Store in an airtight container. Use about 2 tbsp. for a regular sized load.

*To make washing soda on your own, bake baking soda in an oven at 400 deg F until it becomes dull in color, more powdery, and less grainy.

Liquid Hand Soap
1 4 oz bar of natural soap(Dr. Bronner's, Tom's)
2 tbsp. glycerin
10 drops essential oil (I like lemon)
7 cups of water

Grate the soap on the fine side of a box grater. Heat 4 cups of water in a pot, add the grated soap, and stir until dissolved. Add the remaining 3 cups of water, glycerin, and essential oils, stir to mix. Let sit at least 6 hours or overnight.

Blend the soap in a blender or in the pot with an immersion blender, add more water if necessary. Fill soap dispensers with the soap. Soap will settle.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I have really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts.
    In any case I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write
    again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment, I'm glad you found your way to this little sliver of the internet.

      Delete