Saturday, March 15, 2014

Spritz Cookies

Based on the pictures, it's clear this post is a bit overdue. What else is new? However, although the holidays are over, I really think these cookies would be perfect at any time of year. I've made Spritz cookies in the past before and didn't find them super exciting, but the crispness and flavor of these ones from Laura Vitale were just fantastic. They're buttery, but not overly so. They're great on their own, but I decided to dip them in some chocolate just because.
Laura mentioned them on her vlogs as a favorite around the holidays, so I looked up the recipe and decided to try them out. This was only the second time I've ever used my cookie press since my aunt gifted it to me many many years ago. But, after this recipe, I'm sure I'll be using it more often. With this simple little gadget, I can make impressive cookies of various shapes in no time at all. These could easily be turned into almond spritz, citrus spritz cookies, coffee spritz cookies, chocolate spritz cookies, etc. I'll include the variations here once I get a chance to try them out.

Spritz Cookies
Recipe slightly adapted from Laura in the Kitchen
Makes about 100 cookies

1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter
3 oz of cream cheese, softened
1 cup of granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp of pure vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
large pinch of salt
sprinkles, optional

Preheat the oven to 375 deg F. In a standing mixer with a paddle attachment or with a handheld mixer, cream the butter, cream cheese, and sugar on medium high for a minute or two until well incorporated.

Mix in the egg yolk, vanilla extract, and salt. Add in the flour and mix on low speed until just incorporated.

Assemble and fill your cookie press with some of the dough and press cookies onto an ungreased baking sheet. Continue filling your cookie press and pressing the cookies out until the dough is used up. Add sprinkles over the top if using.

Bake cookies on the middle rack for 12-15 min until golden brown on the edges(mine took about 15-18 min). Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to several days.

For Almond Spritz:
Add 2 tsp of pure almond extract, reduce vanilla extract to 1 tsp, sprinkle sliced almonds over the top before baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment