Saturday, May 31, 2014

Alton Brown's The Chewy

 
 

Although I feel that I have found my go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe and I made a big deal about it here, I just can't help but want to try new chocolate chip cookie recipes, especially those recipes that so many other people rave about. Many people have referred to this chocolate chip cookie recipe by Alton Brown as one of their favorites, so I just had to give it a try. These chocolate chip cookies are boldly named "The Chewy" and I think the name is appropriate enough although the chewiness does vary depending on the ingredients and how you handle the dough.

The darker the brown sugar you use, the chewier your cookies should be. Letting them refrigerate for a longer period of time also changes the texture. The first time I tried these, I followed the recipe and let the dough refrigerate for an hour. I ended up with a softer chewier cookie than the next time I made them in which I refrigerated the dough overnight. I like the flavor and texture of cookies that have been refrigerated longer, but either way, you don't want to over bake these or they won't be chewy at all.

This recipe won't replace the other one as my go-to chocolate chip cookies, but they are fantastic chocolate chip cookies and I think it really comes down to personal preference. I like that these chocolate chip cookies are a bit less sweet and are a bit chewier overall in texture, but the NY Times' ones taste more well-rounded in flavor and don't lack in chewiness either. If I didn't have any cake flour and wanted a less sweet chocolate chip cookie, I would definitely make these again. It's nice to have more than one chocolate chip cookie recipe that you can rely on in case you want cookies, but don't have all the ingredients for a certain recipe. That being said, I still need to find a recipe using only all purpose flour that is just as good for those times when I simply don't have bread flour.

The Chewy
Recipe slightly adapted from Alton Brown
Makes about 2 dozen cookies

2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter
12 ounces bread flour
1 tsp kosher salt, half the amount if using fine table salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 ounces granulated sugar
8 ounces brown sugar
1 large egg, plus 1 large egg yolk
1 ounce milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
10 ounces semisweet chocolate chips

Melt the butter in a saucepan and set aside to cool slightly. Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt together.

In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, add in the melted butter and sugars. Beat the butter and sugars together on medium for about 2 minutes. Whisk the egg, egg yolk, milk, and vanilla extract together in a small bowl. Add the egg mixture to the butter and sugar and beat until mixed thoroughly.

Add the sifted dry ingredients and beat on low speed until just incorporated. Add the chocolate chips and mix for about 15 seconds until just mixed in. Chill the dough for 1 hour for softer cookies or overnight for crisper-edged cookies.

When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375 deg F. Scoop mounds of dough with an ice cream scoop and place them at least 2 inches apart on a parchment lined pan. Bake for 12-15 minutes.

Let cool for a few minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely. Cookies are best the day they're made, store cookies in an airtight container for up to 2 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment